Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Deadline: December 17, 2023
The Humanitarian Law Center is the leading non-governmental organisation in Serbia dealing with the legacies of the wars in the former Yugoslavia during the 1990s. Its work is founded on three closely interrelated pillars: documentation, justice, and memory. The Memory Programme relies on the documentation gathered by the HLC during the 30 years of its work, including the facts established before courts, in order to commemorate victims of war crimes, challenge the dominant revisionist narratives about the wars, provide informal education on the subject, and disseminate the judicially determined facts about the wars in an arresting way, using different media formats.
We are looking for a dedicated and skillful professional to add their expertise and strengthen our team of experienced researchers and practitioners. The Project Coordinator will be responsible for further developing our programme and implementing, monitoring, and reporting on the implementation of activities. She or he will coordinate the 3-4 member team’s work and report directly to the Deputy Executive Director.
- Coordinate the activities the HLC implements in the memory culture field;
- Monitor the HLC’s work in the culture of memory field;
- Design new activities and develop the Memory Programme;
- Research and write content on memory culture topics (articles, reports, policy briefs etc.);
- Establish and nurture cooperation with relevant actors in Serbia, the post-Yugoslav region, and internationally;
- Monitor developments in the memory culture field in Serbia and the post-Yugoslav region;
- Contribute to securing funding for new projects by tracking open calls and other fundraising possibilities and participating in the design of project proposals;
- Communicate with donors and prepare reports on the implementation of projects;
- Other project and programme-related duties as needed.
To perform the mentioned tasks, the candidate must meet the following requirements:
- MA or PhD in the fields of transitional justice, memory culture, dealing with the past, peacebuilding, or other related areas;
- Experience in working on topics related to the wars of the 1990s in the former Yugoslavia;
- A minimum of three years of experience in project work;
- Excellent computer skills;
- Fluency in Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian and English.
Preference will be given to candidates:
- With published papers in transitional justice, memory culture, peacebuilding, or other related areas;
- With experience in project coordination.
The engagement requires full-time commitment and office-based work in Belgrade.
Applications should include a curriculum vitae (CV), and a motivational letter with information on the reasons for applying to the job opening and the key areas of potential contribution to the HLC’s Memory Programme. Please send applications to email@example.com by December 17, 2023, at the latest. After reviewing applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.