Press Conference: Presentation of the Analysis of Compliance with the EU regulations in the Area of Transitional Justice
On June 30th 2014 the Humanitarian Law Center (HLC) and the Coalition for Access to Justice will present the analysis “Transitional Justice in Serbia’s EU Accession Process”. The analysis shows policies and financial instruments used by the EU to recommend and advocate for the justice for crimes in the past, the EU regulations containing principles of transitional justice that the acceding countries have to comply with prior to the EU accession, the current compliance of the Republic of Serbia’s legislation with these regulations, and recommendations for further harmonization.
Bearing in mind that to build a stable democracy in a country which in the recent past participated in an armed conflict depends on that country’s willingness to face its responsibility for those crimes, we believe that the process of democratic reforms brought about by EU accession negotiations cannot be fully successful unless the issue of the grave legacy of the wars is given adequate attention. The forthcoming EU accession process provides a unique opportunity for putting accountability for war crimes onto the agenda and incorporating transitional justice standards into the legal and institutional framework of the Republic of Serbia.
The conference is part of “Making Transitional Justice Count in Serbia’s Integration Process” initiative, supported by United states Agency for International Development (USAID) through the Institute for Sustainable Communities (ISC).
- Mr. Oskar Benedikt, Deputy Head of European Union Delegation to the Republic of Serbia
- Ms. Shanley Pinchotti, USAID, Acting Democracy and Governance Office Director
- Ms. Sandra Orlović, HLC Executive Director
- Ms. Milica Kostić, HLC Legal Advisor
- Mr. Emir Fetahović, Sandzak Committee for Protection of Human Rights and Freedoms, Lawyer
- Ms. Gordana Igrić, BIRN director
- Mr. Saša Gajin, Center for Advanced Legal Studies Executive Board Member
- Ms. Maja Mićić, YIHR Director
- Mr. Dragan Đorđević, CHRIS Network Coordinator
The conference is scheduled for June 30th, 2014 in Media Center Belgrade (Grand Hall, 1st floor), from 11:00 a.m. until 13:00 p.m.
We kindly ask you to confirm your participation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow the discussion live on Twitter/#towardsJUSTICE.